static libraries' policy: possible solution

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sat Nov 19 16:59:45 UTC 2005

> On 11/18/05, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:
> > Seriously, a client side tool would have to be a custom tool, not rpm or
> > yum.
> Someone couldn't come up with a clever yum plugin that checked a list
> of libraries where statics were locally required...pull the srpm..when
> the library is updated..rebuild the srpm (using mock of course)

Is the yum in mock the system yum?  If so I think this will currently
fail as yum will detect a lock file and error.  (I tried running
mockbuild while a system yum was running and got a very strange
result... mock setup the basic build hierarcy but did not populate with
any packages.  And it failed to leave any log files at all.)

> in
> such a way to produce the static subpackage (which is defined in the
> srpm spec but not actually built by the fedora build system) and
> install the locally built static subpackage without disturbing the
> existing Core/Extras library update? Surely a static subpackage would
> not file conflict with the main library subpackage.. nor with the
> -devel subpackage.

It sounds possible from a dependency angle but very icky
implementationally.  Having a mock build in the middle of depsolving?
More important, there are currently no SRPM repositories indexed by
rpm-metadata so getting the srpms would have to be done with a bit of
fragile guesswork.

> Why would an epoch boost need to happen at all?
> I'm not talking about replacing any packages... I'm talking about
> locally building a defined subpackage that is not carried in the
> fedora mirrors.

There needs to be some way to mark a package as "do not allow update
from repository".  But I've realized that the existence of the static
library package itself should be sufficient for that purpose, so you're
right, no epoch boost necessary.

-Toshio