static libraries' policy: possible solution

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sun Nov 20 09:18:32 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:

> Is the yum in mock the system yum? If so I think this will currently
> fail as yum will detect a lock file and error. (I tried running
> mockbuild while a system yum was running and got a very strange
> result... mock setup the basic build hierarcy but did not populate with
> any packages. And it failed to leave any log files at all.)

It uses mock-yum which just uses the system yum and drops the LD_PRELOAD
from the environment. Although it uses the system yum, it should be rooted
into the hierarchy which was created. So, there shouldn't be any lock file
problems. You must be seeing something else. If possible, run your build
again with the cvs version of mock. (Plus, I need more eyes to look at the
logging patch I committed last week. :D )

It sounds possible from a dependency angle but very icky
> implementationally. Having a mock build in the middle of depsolving?
> More important, there are currently no SRPM repositories indexed by
> rpm-metadata so getting the srpms would have to be done with a bit of
> fragile guesswork.

They could be indexed. But, doing this sounds a little too CPANish. Think
about running rpmbuild during like %install or something crazy like that.
Lot's of weird things can happen and I'm not certain if upstream rpm wants
to support that.

--
-jeff