make tag error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Oct 1 22:46:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 18:39 -0400, Zing wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm not quite sure how to handle this error message from a
> make tag i did within the FC-4 branch of mmv package:
>
> $ make tag
> cvs tag  -c mmv-1_01b-3
> For more information on using the Fedora CVS repositories, please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
> ? clog
> ERROR: The tag mmv-1_01b-3 is already applied on a different branch
> ERROR: You can not forcibly move tags between branches
> mmv-1_01b-2:devel:shishz:1128040855
> mmv-1_01b-3:devel:shishz:1128202428
> mmv-1_01b-3:devel:shishz:1128202928
> cvs tag: Pre-tag check failed
> cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!
> make: *** [tag] Error 1
>
> I built a devel mmv package prior to this and then moved on to FC-4,
> but now I'm not sure how to proceed?
>
> It seems there is a tag clash, but how do I then handle this properly?

Hi Zing,

The easiest way to fix the above is to add "%{?dist}" to the end of your
Release tag as in:

  Release:  1%{?dist}

which will then get added to the tag name when you do a "make tag" and
will result in a different tag name for each branch such as:

  mmv-1_01b-3_fc4
  mmv-1_01b-3_fc5
  ...etc...

There are *plenty* of examples in the other packages so please take a
look.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD