Hypothetical php-extras srpm: what to include

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Thu Oct 6 11:46:28 UTC 2005

Dmitry Butskoy wrote:

> There is a lot of disabled modules in the current FC's PHP. They exist
> in the source, but are not built. Some of them seems to be good
> candidates to be included into FE.
>
> I've tried to make a list of the switched off php modules...

Corrected list (after consideration of PHP5 in FC4):

1)  Not require extra stuff:
dbase
hyperwave      php4-only
pcntl      php5-now
sysvmsg      php5-now

2)  Depend on Fedora Core packages:
crack       (cracklib)       php4-only
cyrus      (cyrus-imapd,cyrus-sasl2)        php4-only
fribidi      (fribidi)      php4-only
qtdom      (qt)        php4-only
readline      (readline)
recode      (recode)

3)  Depend on Fedora Extras packages:
mcrypt      (libmcrypt)
mhash      (mhash)
sqlite      (sqlite)      php5-only
tidy      (tidy)      php5-only
zip         (zziplib)      php4-only

4)  Depend on something currently missed in Fedora:
cpdf
fam      php5-only
fdf
hwapi
interbase
ircg
mcal      php4-only
mcve
ming
mnogosearch
msql
pdf      php4-only
swf      php4-only
xslt      php4-only
yaz      php4-only

5)  The same as 4), but also known to be depended on commercial stuff:
fbsql
filepro
informix
ingres_ii
msession
notes        php4-only
oci8
oracle
ovrimos
pfpro
sybase
sybase_ct

6)  Miscellaneous:
java      php4-only
mssql      (freetds, but it has legal issues).

IMHO it is good to exclude all "php4-only" modules. Then, if focusing on
currently existing in FC/FE only, a list will be:

dbase
pcntl      (for php4, already in main php5)
sysvmsg      (for php4, already in main php5)

readline      (FC:readline)
recode      (FC:recode)

mcrypt      (FE:libmcrypt)
mhash      (FE:mhash)
sqlite      (FE:sqlite, php5)
tidy      (FE:tidy, php5)

I vote for "mcrypt" and "mhash". As "pcntl" and "sysvmsg" have appeared
in FC4, it is useful to include them for FC3. There is a report about
"readline" can be useful. And someone is trying now to add "php-tidy" to
FE as separate stuff...

What about "dbase", "recode" and "sqlite" ?

Dmitry Butskoy