rpms/libsigsegv/FC-4 .cvsignore, 1.2, 1.3 libsigsegv.spec, 1.5, 1.6 sources, 1.2, 1.3

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Oct 7 18:04:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 19:44 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 07:53 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > > This is FE, currently addressing FC3, FC4 and rawhide, older RHs are
> > > irrelevant.
> >
> > But Fedora Legacy can base off the same spec.  And a package maintainer
> > may be building privately for older machines as well.
>
> We are not talking about "old", we are talking about "ancient",
> "outdated", "obsolete" and SW archeology", cf.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-July/msg00073.html
>
> In a nutshell: The "|| :" is superfluous on anything newer than vanilla
> RH-7.3 - If you want to get rid of it, once and for all times in
> "legacy" add a newer rpm to legacy. I guess, most people already did
> this by themselves.
>
> >  Something which
> > is "superfluous" for FC-not-EOL but does no harm _and_ the package
> > maintainer is willing to support shouldn't be a bg issue.
>
> It's called "code rot" or "pollution" at other places. If a legacy
> maintainer really wants to support obsolete distros or foreign distros,
> he can add where required in CVS, and doesn't have to "pollute"
> "distro-upstream".

It's code rot if it's not maintained/understood why it's there.
If Rex knows that he neds it there to allow him to build on other
distros that he wants to support then it should be his decision to keep
it.  (If Rex isn't maintaining for a distro that needs it then it's
another story.)

We use %{?dist} so maintainers can have one spec file that builds on
multiple distro versions.

My two cents is it's the maintainer's perogative for something this
trivial.

-Toshio