Package submission process

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Oct 15 15:08:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 09:53 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > Can we add a bugzilla for first time packagers seeking a sponsor that
> > their package blocks?
> >
> > That might make it easier for packagers seeking a sponsor and sponsors
> > to get together - IE sponsors can go to that bugzilla and look at who
> > needs sponsor.
>
> I think that idea seems to have merit.  But since I'm not a sponsor
> it's difficult for me to judge the extent of the problem. Surely a
> blocker bug for sponsor needed couldn't hurt.  I guess this is
> something for the extras steering committee to make a decision on.
>
> I've been trying to watch the numbers of tickets that are in the
> review state over time to get a feel if the process is bogged down.
> Its actually working pretty well, the number packages blocking
> FE-Review has been at about 100 +/-15  consistently.

Remember that the bugs blocking FE-REVIEW have already at least been
looked at by someone. Bugs blocking FE-NEW are still awaiting review,
and there are generally more of them than the ones blocking FE-REVIEW.

> There are always a few 1month+ older tickets in the review state..but
> when I go to look at them they are active tickets with on going
> discussions.  What I don't have a feel for is what the average time in
> review is for a package and as a special subset average time in review
> for a first package.  It could simply be that we need to calibrate new
> contributor expectations and give them a better idea of how long it
> takes..on average. Instanst gratification expectations are a mental
> disorder that afflicts a suprisingly large number of computer
> scientists that I am forced to interact with in person. I can only
> assume it afflicts a portion of this community as well.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to get three packages through
from initial request to release all in one day last week :-)

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>