Extras repodata

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 21:07:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 20:07 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le lundi 24 octobre 2005 à 12:57 -0500, Rex Dieter a écrit :
> > Eric TANGUY wrote:
> > > Why there is so many packages not in Groups here :
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/
> > > I take the example Engineering and Scientific group : for example maxima
> > > is not here and so on ...
> >
> > Good question.  There seems to be a *lot* of stuff in the "Packages Not
> > in Groups" category (that's where maxima is listed).  I take it that
> > membership in these groups isn't automated (ie, done by a human), else
> > we've got a bug lurking.
> >
> It is not possible to make a file in cvs showing the good group to put
> the package. And after a "little" script reading this file and putting
> the package in the right group ?

In the FC5 time frame, I think we're going to want/need to move to
having people be more conscientious about updating a groups (comps) file
when they add packages.  Especially as the plan is that the
system-config-packages replacement will be making good use of this.

At the same time, the comps file in its current form just isn't
sufficient for this purpose.  Work is underway to try to get to
something better very very soon...

Jeremy