RFC: fuse packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Oct 29 17:36:22 UTC 2005

Hi *

I tried to package fuse (fuse.sf.net) and sshfs-fuse for fedora-extras.
I thought that wouldn't be to hard because 2.6.14 is in devel already
and is probably due for an update in FC4 in the next weeks. So the
kernel-module is there and we only need utils and libs.

But it was harder than I thought in the beginning. The current results
can be found here:

http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SPECS.fdr/fuse.spec
http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SRPMS.fdr/fuse-2.4.1-1.src.rpm

http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SPECS.fdr/fuse-sshfs.spec
http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SRPMS.fdr/fuse-sshfs-1.2-1.src.rpm

I would like to get some comments on this parts before I submit these
packages for review:

- the upstream tarball ships with three things:
 - the kernel-module (GPL)
 - the utils needed to (,u)mount FUSE-Filesystems (GPL)
 - the libraries that are used by the FUSE-filesystems (LGPL)
The kernel-module is disabled because it's in 2.6.14 already. Due to the
different license for utils and libraries I chose to split these into
sub-packages. This leads to several problems:
 - the resulting src.rpm is named fuse, the resulting binaries
fuse-util, fuse-lib and fuse-libs-devel, but no package fuse.
 - where store the Docs? I chose to ship them with the utils and the
libs.
 - should the devel package named fuse-libs-devel or fuse-devel?
Currently it's fuse-libs-devel

- fuse installs %{_bindir}/fusermount with 4755 -- do we allow that in
extras? And should we add a group "fuse" and allow only members of that
group access to fuse?

- Fuse needs a device file /dev/fuse that is packaged for /dev/ and
%{_sysconfdir}/udev/devices/ (bit ugly due to a rpm-bug).  Yes, the
module and udev can create the /dev/fuse automatically when the module
is loaded. But it seems the FUSE-Filesystems try to autoload the module
by accessing /dev/fuse -- if it's not there the module does not get
loaded and the FUSE-Filesystem fails -- or did I miss any trick to solv
that easily?

- I packages sshfs-fuse, but followed the packaging-guidelines and named
it fuse-sshfs -- that okay for everybody?

Thanks for any comments.