FUSE - Z80 ROM documentation

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Sep 1 12:50:21 UTC 2005

Iago Rubio wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 09:44 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Further to my requests about the inclusion of the Z80 ROMs within the
>>Fuse package, I've been forwarded the following URLS
>>
>>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.sinclair/msg/c092cc4d4943131e?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=c7c6be9db6ecba9b&rnum=1&ic=1
>>
>>This one states the position of Amstrad (the owners of the ROMS).
>>Basically, as long as the copyright message is kept and no fee is
>>charged, they're good to go. They can be released as images with the
>>blessing of the owners.
>

> I don't think it could  apply for Extras:
>
> 	- It's non free (not OSI License).

Its a frimware blob and thus dopesn't need to be OSI, it falls under the
shareware data file exception.

> 	- It does not allow commercial distribution.

To quote:
No. No one should be charging for the ROM code because (as a result of the
point above) there are loads of freely available images anyway. If I ever
thought someone was charging for the ROM images then I'd make them available
as a free download on the www.amstrad.com web site. Naturally I imagine that
some emulator writers want to charge a shareware fee for the code they have
written and we have absolutely no problem with that as long as they aren't,
in any sense, charging for the parts of the code that are (c)Amstrad and (c)
Sinclair.

So commercial distribution is fine, as long as the price asked is not
for the amstrad code, but for other parts (such as the cd the code is on)

Regards,

Hans