No shared libpthread or libdl on x86_64?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 13:44:20 UTC 2005

> Rex Dieter (rdieter at math.unl.edu) said:
> > >libpthread/libdl are shared on x86_64, much like they are on any other
> > >platform. I'd guess the build script/libtool are looking in the
> > >wrong place.
> >
> > Except for the fact that gc (apparently) builds fine when built by hand.
> >  It only fails to find the shared libs on the Fedora Extras
> > buildsystem.  Any ideas or pointers?
>
> On your system where it's built by hand, do you have 32-bit compilers
> and/or libc installed as well?

I rebuilt job 996 (gc for FC4/x86_64) in the build system and took a
look at the installed buildroots.  There does exist:

/lib64/libpthread.so.0
/lib64/libpthread-2.3.5.so
/lib64/obsolete/linuxthreads/libpthread.so.0
/lib64/obsolete/linuxthreads/libpthread-0.10.so
/usr/lib64/libpthread.a
/usr/lib64/libpthread.so
/lib64/libdl.so.2
/lib64/libdl-2.3.5.so
/usr/lib64/libdl.so

So I'm not really sure where libtool (evil, evil thing) thinks it's not
getting the libs from since they clearly exist...  I tend to blame
libtool for anything that remotely resembles stupidity of linkage, your
results may vary.  That said, libtool hasn't been known to play the
nicest with multilib in the past.

Dan