Move PyQt to Extras?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Sep 18 20:25:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 15:34 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On 18/09/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > > No, it doesn't *need* to.  One could simply package only the
> > > PyQt-qscintilla bit(s) for Extras, leaving PyQt in Core.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Probably not - and since Ville Skyttä pointed out a package in rawhide
> > core depends upon it, moving it out of core isn't an option.
>
> Well, this is clearly a limitation of the Core/Extras separation, when
> to have a sub-component of a package, the whole package has to be
> duplicated in Extras for just the small bits (hence wasted effort). I
> guess it's just something we'll have to live with.

IMHO it should move to Core.  From the Fedora Project Objectives::
  4. Provide a robust development platform for building software,
     particularly open source software.

Since it can't move to Extras due to dependencies, and it is needed in
order to build other packages successfully, it should move into Core to
support that.  Less maintenance burden and duplication of effort is a
driving part of Fedora philosophy (The upstream, upstream, upstream
mantra is a branch off of that.)

-Toshio