Licensing pictures within an application

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 19:44:29 UTC 2005

Christian Jodar wrote:

>Lewis Jardine wrote:
>

>>I'm not sure what you're wanting. If you want the authors credited in a
>>derivative work's copyright section, all licenses provide this.
>>

>That's exactly what I wanted. And this is one of the main point I missed
>(the other one being difference between license/copyright/trademark but
>thanks to Jeff and other members I got it).
>
>Concerning GPL for non programs, I think something should be done because
>it is not so clear as it should be. This license was made for command line
>programs. Now we have applications with complex graphical user interfaces
>and so requiring a lot of design and pictures. I don't think it is well
>covered by the license.
>
>Christian.

I guess the moral of the story is: If you run a logo competition,
stipulate that all entries must be licenced under the GPL (or whatever
licence that is equal to the one that you have your main package under).
That may prevent some people from submitting in the first place (as it
is their right to licence their original works as they see fit) but it
will surely clear up any confusion created by combining the results with
your package.

/Mike