weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Apr 27 14:41:52 UTC 2006

> > > That's a good idea. But why weekly and not when they enter the repo
> > > (e.g. daily)?
> > ROTFL.
>
> There's nothing funny, you can get off the floor now.

It would take a little more time when the repos built (notably the
package pushes take a while, now.) And I think collecting the 'these are
new' into a nice weekly summary would be nice.

Having said that there is nothing saying we couldn't do both :)

A weekly summary of new pkgs AND new pkg's announced when they come out.

It just takes some time for someone to focus on the scripts to do it.

> It's of no use to me to see that there was a package called
> abracatabra built unless I'm the packager/reviewer. If a new package
> enters the system I (as a user) want to see what that package does w/o
> guessing from the name. And I want to be able to separate new from
> updates. For an update I'd like to know why it was updated, so the
> first lines of the changelog are nice to look at.

I guess I don't think doing it in mail is useful, really. I prefer rss
feeds for this kind of information. And putting changelogs and other
misc info in an rss feed makes more sense - at least to me.

-sv