Some confusion about Extras processes

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Apr 2 21:23:27 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 21:04 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> 1. CvsSyncNeeded contains some requests touching the repository, not the CVS:
>  * Remove ppc package of gnome-applet-sensors, version 1.4-3. This package does
> not work on ppc and has been rebuilt to 1.4-4 with the appropriate ExcludeArch,
> but the older broken package still exists in the ppc repo.
>  * Remove argus[-clients]-2.0.6.fixes1-7 builds from fc-4, fc-5, and devel;
> there were errors during build, but poorly done argus makefile didn't die. I
> fixed the problem in release 8, and would like 7 to go away.
>  * Remove gambas-*1.0.11 packages from the repos for all branches (FC-3, FC-4,
> FC-5). This will resolve bugzilla 186274.
>
> Shouldn't these be files under FC5Status resp. FC4Status under the heading
> "Remove Request" instead?

Yes.

> 2. CvsSyncNeeded also contained branch requests for branches already in the
> repository, see:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-April/msg00004.html
> These have been deleted with no apparent action done to the CVS. Isn't the
> right way here to "cvs-import.sh -b FC-5"?

Depends on what you want to achieve with that.  It's fine if you choose
to update a package *in an already existing branch* using
cvs-import.sh.

Whether it can be used for creating new branches has been asked several
times, but I don't remember hearing much feedback at all.  The last
official word I've heard is that cvs-import.sh should not be used to
create new branches, but the branches must be requested through the Wiki
page instead.