Contribution to Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Apr 4 16:18:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 13:20 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> Greetings,  I've just finished a 2D shooter game "Space Invaders" [...]
> >> The game can be downloaded as either source or binary from my site at:
> >> www.victorsk.webhop.org
> > [snip]
> >
> > FYI, Star Control 2 (which you mention on the game's site as the source for
> > your graphics) hasn't been forgotten. It has been GPLed and renamed to "Ur-Quan
> > Masters" because of trademark licensing issues (the people who own the game's
> > code only had a license to the "Star Control" trademark and so couldn't use it
> > for the GPL release), and it's even available in Extras (yum install uqm). In
> > other words, you're lucky because this means you'll probably get away with
> > "borrowing" its graphics for your game.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> Good catch, Victor this does mean that your code must be licensed under
> the GPL.

>From uqm's COPYING:

    The content -- voiceovers, dialogue, graphics, and music -- are
    copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 2002 Toys for Bob, Inc. or their
    respective creators.  The content may be copied freely as part of
    a distribution of The Ur-Quan Masters.  All other rights are reserved.

    (Side Note: The content will become more freely redistributable
     and reusable in later releases.)

Note "as part of a distribution of The Ur-Quan Masters".