RFC: FESCo Future

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Apr 24 04:35:54 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 23.04.2006, 21:46 -0500 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:26:35PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 4/23/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> > > - For how long are people elected for FESCo?
> > > One year seem reasonable to me. They can be re-elected. To make the
> > > whole process a bit easier: Elect a new FESCo round about four or six
> > > weeks after a odd-numbered Fedora Core (e.g. FC5, FC7, FC9, ...) was
> > > published
> >
> > With 1 year appointment terms I'd rather see elections of half of
> > fesco every 6 months.  I don't think potentially turning over the
> > whole committee in a single election is a good idea for continuity of
> > purpose or long term planning issues.
>
> Yes, I agree.  We want a mix of both old and new members at any one time.
> That way, we don't get a radical change of plans or focus every year.

Yes, you two have a point. But I think that some old members will always
be re-elected (Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we can ignore this risk).

And a public voting is probably a lot of work -- I don't want to
organize that twice a year. And I prefer a "1 year stable group with
people that know each other and know how to make compromises" over a
"group that is shuffled and confused by new members every six months".

BTW, does anyone know how Gnome or Debian handle this? Gnome elects the
whole board once a year iirc.

CU
thl