RFC: FESCo Future

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Apr 25 12:46:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 07:30 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:07:37PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > My point is: I sense not a single trace of democracy at RH and I sense
> > not a trace of supervision/monitoring/control of the community over the
> > boards inaugurated by RH.
> >
> > Some examples:
> > * RH has killed the FF, without even informing the community in advance.
> > (Now some projects are complaining about lack of funding - Could it be
> > RH missed the aspect of using a "foundation as means of fundraising?)
> >

> What does that have to do with FESCO?
We are discussing FESCO and relationship to the community and to the
FPB, and how democracy can be introduced.

> > * RH has proclaimed the FPB and has inaugurated the persons at their own
> > will without consulting nor informing the community. They selecting a
> > person as head we never saw in any Fedora Project before nor without
> > thinking about this organs interaction with other Fedora Projects.
> > (In politics such an incident would be called "palace revolution")
>
> Again, what does that have to do with FESCO?

FPB controls FESCO.

> You seem to want to escalate issues with Fedora
That's absolutely not my intention, but you are right, I consider
current Fedora leadership model as to be close to the worst of all
possible models.

> Extras was around before either of those examples happened.  It's also the
> largest community driven project within Fedora itself.  I believe (and I
> could be mistaken here) that it is also the first official Fedora project
> to be chaired by someone outside of Red Hat.(1)  My point is, Extras seems
> to move along at it's own pace and the on-goings of how Red Hat is dealing
> with things don't appear to have a large detrimental impact.
>
> We're talking about how we, the Extras community, want to govern ourselves.
> Leave Red Hat out of this discussion please.
That's one possible attitude ...

But ask yourself: Given RH's attitude, is FESCO of any importance?

As I sense it: No, it isn't. This discussion a waste of time. The RH or
current FESCO Gods will decide on their will. The best we can expect is
of them giving us an ear :(

Ralf