i386 binaries in the x86_64 directories

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 16:03:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

There is currently a horrid problem with the way mono is packaging which
is annoying the heck out of me and it only hits 64 bit architecture (as
far as I can tell).

The problem is this. When you compile mono from source, if you say
--libdir=/usr/lib64, everything goes into /usr/lib64 happily and the .pc
files go into /usr/lib64/pkgconfig. However, when compiling via a spec
file, even if you define libdir as /usr/lib, bits move
to /usr/lib64/pkgconfig and it doesn't matter what is passed in the %
configure line.

Upshot, anything built against the mono rpms (as an rpm) fails. I've
copied chunks from fspot and that isn't cutting the ice either (which is
a pain!).

What I am thinking until this problem can get sorted fully (and it is
being worked on), is to build for x86 and then do like OpenOffice and a
few other packages, have the x86 binaries in the x86_64 directories.

Is this possible under the extras system and if it is, what do I need to
do to allow this to happen?

TTFN

Paul
Dr Who