desktop icons

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Aug 1 19:29:28 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 08:32 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> According to the freedesktop.org icon standard it is
>> %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor/<size>, this is where all my packages put them
>> and I've even blocked reviews on poluting /usr/share/pixmaps with icons
>> (which will work too to support legacy apps).
>
> One thing I don't get is what if the icon is not one of the standard
> sizes? Like, say, 256x256?

In my experience, just putting it in the closest matching dir does the
trick.

The whole idea behind having multiple dirs for different sizes is that
you can have hand pixilated versions for each common used size (or
machine pixilated when the original is vector based), this gives better
results then software scaling. However if you only install say a 48x48
icon, it will still show up fine in menus using 20x20 but it will get
scaled. So if you drop a 52x50 icon into 48x48 it will get scaled a bit
even when used in a menu wanting 48x48 icons.

Regards,

Hans