Cross-compilers.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 2 22:45:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:34:24PM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 08:15:18AM -0400, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >> How much interest would there be in getting a bunch of cross-compilers
> >> into Extras?
> >
> > A very good idea.
> >
> >> It'd be particularly nice if we could install native -devel packages
> >> into each toolchain's sysroot
> >
> > I don't think installing packages of a foreign arch is easy w/o an
> > emulator. You have scriptlets (%post and friends) that need to run on
> > the target arch's platform. E.g. even installing glibc calls
> > /usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade.* which would have to be emulated.
> >
> > -devel usually has no scriplets, but the pulled in main lib package
> > will at the very least want to call ldconfig.
>
> Well, it really depends on what you're doing in the scriptlet. If it's
> running chkconfig, adduser, etc. (i.e. updating configuration
> information) then something we've done in the past would work (it's
> ugly, but it works). Essentially you work in a chroot and at the point
> where you want to run the scriptlets, you bind mount the host /bin,
> /sbin, /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin into the chroot (from
> outside the chroot of course), then run the scriptlets inside the
> chroot natively, then undo it (Hey! I *said* it was ugly).  I've used
> this method to build mipsel and sh root filesystems.

Yes, I've done similar things to create an embedded ppc chroot, but
the pain is big and each package to be imported needs to be examined
and handled specially. Mostly because some packages install stuff of
the target arch in /bin and friends and you need to replace them with
cross-built tools during the package installation, e.g. intercept the
package installation between cpio unpacking and scriplets.

You can do that for a couple of packages (like for an embedded
system), but it doesn't really scale well. :(
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net