RFC: Split Package with Obsolete

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Aug 7 10:58:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 08:25:03PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> 2) add a this two lines to the new sub-pacakge:
> Requires:       %{name} = %{version}-%{release}
> Obsoletes:      mail-notification < 3.0-4
> (see attached patch for the full context). This way yum will install the
> new subpackage because it obsoletes the old main-package *and* yum will
> install the new main-package because it's a dep of the new subpackage.

> This is somewhat hackish, but it's probably the most comfortable way for
> the user.

Sounds sane enough. I would add a comment above the "hack" to identify
which upgrade paths are affected (e.g. all FC <= 5), so when FC5 get's
dropped from FL one day (in 18 months with FC9?) one can remove it
again.

I think this is not really a hack, perhaps even the most elegant
solution for such transparent splits. Maybe worth globally documenting
somewhere in the wiki perhaps even the packaging guide?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net