python package: pyo files

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org
Wed Aug 9 16:57:01 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 18:46, Michał Bentkowski wrote:
> 2006/8/9, Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora_extras at normalesup.org>:
> > Actually, those guidelines are quite ambiguous: can a package ship .pyo
> > files or not?
>
> It is really ambigous... IMHO .pyo shouldn't be added to package and
> this is done by doing %ghost macro.

I do not know the reason, but since last December, .pyo files are created
after %install stage by rpmbuild itself.

I am not used to Python, actually. I have no personal thought about that.
Debian policy states that packages must not even ship .pyc of .pyo files.
Instead they must be generated in the postint stage, and removed in postun.
See
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-bytecompilation

I am sure to understand the rational of that choice.