Query on the owners.list

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Wed Aug 9 20:59:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:42:10PM +0100, PFJ wrote:
> There looks to be two identical packages in the owners list
>
> ddrescue and dd_rescue.

They aren't identical.

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-June/msg00782.html

There is no dd_rescue in Extras.  The owners.list entry is bogus.

The ddrescue package in Extras *should* be called dd_rescue, since it
is the original dd_rescue renamed.

We don't have GNU ddrescue
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html) packaged for
Extras.

I volunteered to fix this mess last year, but it looked like Andreas
Thienemann was going to take care of it.  Unfortunately the
pre-bugzilla review requests never went anywhere, so the fix never
happened.  Apparently everyone involved hasn't had time for it in the
post-bugzilla-review-request era.

FWIW, my main motivation for fixing all this was to get dd_rhelp
(http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html) in Extras,
but I've since decided it is a hopeless mess.

Oh, and GNU ddrescue is supposed to do what dd_rhelp + dd_rescue are
supposed to do, but it has never worked right for me, so I've just
been using dd_rescue, restarting it manually if necessary.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/