[Fedora-infrastructure-list] coverity code checker in Extras

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Aug 30 19:08:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:29:36PM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> The folks over at Coverity have offered to allow Fedora Extras to use
> their services, and would like a yes or no.

+1.  More eyes (in this case, even electronic eyes) is good.

> CONS
>
> + We need to make sure it doesn't disrupt or break our build system too
> much.  So that will require some technical work and time from certain
> folks.

I thought their checking work was being done not on the build
environment but on their own servers using SCM access.  No?

scan.coverity.com also requires personal registration (sends an email
with your name, email address, and "reason for needing access") for
each project the list (which looks like it's one project per
program/app, I don't see a category like "Fedora Extras" to sign up
for blanketwise) in order to see the list of bugs.  Any chance we
could relax that somewhat, tie it into the FE accounts system or
something?  Else everyone wanting to look at that list needs to
register at coverity's site, yes?

The current registration looks like:

To get access to the FOOBAR report please supply your:
Full Name:
Email:
Your association with the project and purpose of access:

There's no privacy policy listed (though their main page's "subscribe
to our mailing list" does say "We will NEVER share your e-mail with
anyone and you can unsubscribe at any time." there's no similar
statement or opt-out for sales calls made using the info you provide.

Otherwise, I do like the idea.

Thanks,
Matt

--