query regarding openswan

You might think that this is not related to fedora-extras. But I plan to make a software which uses openswan and submit it to fedora-extras,

I want to know the difference between these 3 things.
1)adding connection information to /etc/ipsec.conf
2)ipsec auto --add conname
3)ipsec auto --up connection
A brief explanation would be more than enough

Thanks.

Regards
Amit Dey.