Re: On Debian and Fedora experiences

On Monday 04 December 2006 08:34, Matej Cepl wrote:
> And one more I forgot -- I really miss Suggests: and Recommends: Having
> aalib required to be installed (take a look at rpm -qi aalib -- do you
> think you really need it?) makes me really home-sick after Debian.

And how do you expect automated tools to handle these soft requirements?
Either you always install them, or you never do, which basically brings up
the question, whats the point?  Why do this instead of just Requires or not?

A far better solution is to split the libraries that would use say aalib into
a subpackage so that you can install the base package without needing aalib,
and choose to install the subpackage that might pull in the aalib dep.  The
OLPC project has helped to identify a lot of these scenarios and to split out
functionality as such.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora