Package DB Schema v3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:13:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 09:16 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mar 5 décembre 2006 06:59, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
>
> > * Integrating comps/categories.  I have some notes in comments.  In
> > order to implement this we need to 1) decide if comps is the right thing
> > for this or if something closer to Nicolas Mailhot's suggestion is the
> > right way to go.
>
> Actually, I'd be fine if someone else's suggestion is taken as long as the
> grouping and sorting problem is led to rest. With a working packagedb one
> could hide the categorization in the db and only export final groups, but
> that would create two classes of repositories : those with RW access to
> the db and those without.

I agree that the root problem exists and should be solved.  Currently,
your proposal is the best I've seen.

I think we can generate groups from the packageDB for Fedora
Repositories as an xml file with a specified format.  Repositories that
do not have access to the package db can use the generated xml to make
their own groupings.  Do you see a difference between this and having
Fedora Repositories include an xml groups file that Fedora Contributors
modify directly?

> On a related issue I'd like to know if I should follow up on the comps
> ralx-ng schema I posted on the other day, work on a schema for some new
> comps format,

I'm interested in the comps schema if I might have to generate comps
from the packageDB or write a converter from a new repository-groups
format and comps format (for instance, because anaconda's going to
continue to use comps)

I'm interested in your new format because it looks like a good way to
resolve the differences in needs that the installer, package managers,
and repoview have.

> or if the large round of silence that followed the last
> schema posting means no one's really interested.

It means your arguments were unassailable ;-)

-Toshio