On Debian and Fedora experiences

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Dec 7 20:00:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 17:30 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:04:23AM +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > > Now I have a naive question: does it need a yet another package
> > > database to remove, together with xxx, each package on which xxx
> > > depends, under the constrain that xxx has to be the ONLY package
> > > requiring it?
> >
> > install yum-utils. run package-cleanup --leaves.
> >

> great!
> So I can: remove package xxx, run package-cleanup --leaves, remove
> what is listed there.

package-cleanup is useful, but --leaves only deals with lib* packages at
the moment, and --leaves --all tends to list a bit too many packages for
my taste for my most common use cases.

Other related things I've found useful:
- apt-get -D remove foo
- rpmdev-rmdevelrpms after customizing devpkgs
  in /etc/rpmdevtools/rmdevelrpms.conf
- weekly "diff -u /var/log/rpmpkgs.1 /var/log/rpmpkgs"