Mass rebuilds (was: (3/3) Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras development - 2006-12-08)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Dec 9 16:55:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:02:22PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 13:00 +0000, Fedora Extras repoclosure wrote:
> >     epylog-1.0.3-4.fc6.noarch  requires  python(abi) = 0:2.4
>
> <snip>
>
> It's easier to say - if it needs Python, it's bust!

Wouldn't you (not Paul, but "you" in general ;) wish all packages to
have been rebuilt based on disttag bump? E.g. from fc6.89 to fc6.89.1?
That would had been some packages too much (e.g. all non-python
packages), but who really cares about bandwidth and rawhide.

Instead we have manual mass rebuilds again, and we need to wait for
cascaded builds - for example for smart I need kdebindings, so my
manual rebuild has to wait on kdebindings' manual rebuild, and perhaps
that waits on setuptool's manual rebuild and so on.

Did I mention that these are all manual rebuilds? That a disttag
controlled mass rebuild could have avoided? :(

Anyway there was a suggestion by the packaging group to use disttags
of fc6.89 etc to use in such situations, but it was turned down by
the fedora core release manager and consequently didn't manage to make
it in fedora extras. Too bad IMHO, and perhaps the FC7 cycle will make
people rethink about it.

P.S. nothing against mass rebuilds, that's what rawhide is for. But
please let's not burn contributors' time on manual rebuilds,
especially when they need to wait for the BRs to rebuild, too. :(
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net