Naming Guidelines Clarification for plugins, docklets etc

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Dec 17 18:21:40 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 17.12.2006, 10:09 -0700 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:15:05 +0100
> christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de (Christoph Wickert) wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think we need a clarification of the naming guidelines for plugins
> > like panel applets, docklets and so on.
>
> Yeah, part of the problem however is that upstream terminology isn't
> very defined either... case in point:
> > Pending packages:
> >       * 219932 driconf - A configuration applet for the for the Direct
> >         Rendering Infrastructure
>
> This is a stand alone python/pygtk2 application.

Thanks for the pointer, I just searched bugzilla for reviews with
"applet" in summary.

> So I think you are looking at applet in the sense of something tied to
> gnome or some other desktop and runs in a small panel area?

Yes, docklets or dockapps, panel plugins, whtatever. No standalone
stuff.

> >      1. Make everything gnome-applet-<foo>, this is used for most
> >         packages atm and allows nice sorting
> >      2. Make everything gnome-<foo>-applet, just like all the
> >         xfce4-panel-plugins: This is closer to the upstream names in
> >         most cases and might be better for packages like resapplet,
> > wich would simply become gnome-resapplet instead of something stupid
> >         like gnome-applet-res or gnome-applet-resapplet
> >         (gnome-applet-resolution would be least worse)
> >      3. Don't be so pedantic, only rename packages to their parent,
> > the rest is maintainer's decision
> >      4. Leave everything as it is now and don't make so much noise.
>
> I like option #2.

Me too, but _most_ gnome-panel applets are following 1), even from Core.
1) is what the wiki suggests, think of gstreamer-plugins-*

> > I think we should at least agree on
> >      1. a common prefix
> >      2. a clarification of the naming/packaging guidelines
> >      3. an addition to the guidelines: packages that don't use the
> >         upstream name should have a Provides: with the original name
> > to allow simple installs
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> I think thats good for things that are direct gnome applets,
> how would the existing packages (above)change for that?

Depending on the naming scheme a number of plugins will have need to be
renamed:

For 1)
Already following the gnome-applet-foo scheme: 6
     1. gnome-applet-netmon
     2. gnome-applet-netspeed
     3. gnome-applet-rhythmbox
     4. gnome-applet-sensors
     5. gnome-applet-timer
     6. gnome-applet-vm:

To rename: at least 10
     1. autobuild-applet -> gnome-applet-autobuild
     2. bubblemon -> gnome-applet-bubblemon
     3. contact-lookup-applet -> gnome-applet-contact-lookup
     4. deskbar-applet -> gnome-applet-deskbar
     5. glunarclock -> gnome-applet-lunarclock (?)
     6. gnome-cpufreq-applet -> gnome-applet-cpufreq
     7. lock-keys-applet -> gnome-applet-lock-keys
     8. padevchooser -> gnome-applet-padevchooser (?, haven't really
        looked at this)
     9. panelfm -> gnome-applet-panelfm or
        gnome-applet-quick-filemanager
    10. wp_tray -> gnome-applet-wp_tray or gnome-wallpaper-tray

If we strictly follow this approach I would have to rename more than 25
xfce-panel-plugins. :(

For 2)
Already following gnome-foo-(applet)-scheme: 1
     1. gnome-cpufreq-applet

To rename: 16
     1. autobuild-applet -> gnome-autobuild-applet
     2. bubblemon -> gnome-bubblemon-applet
     3. contact-lookup-applet -> gnome-contact-lookup-applet
     4. deskbar-applet -> gnome-deskbar-applet
     5. glunarclock -> gnome-lunarclock-applet (?)
     6. gnome-applet-music -> gnome-music-applet
     7. gnome-applet-netmon -> gnome-netmpn-applet
     8. gnome-applet-netspeed -> gnome-netspeed-applet
     9. gnome-applet-rhythmbox -> gnome-rhythmbox-applet (note: replaced
        by gnome-applet-music anyway)
    10. gnome-applet-sensors -> gnome-sensors-applet
    11. gnome-applet-timer -> gnome-timer-applet
    12. gnome-applet-vm -> gnome-vm-applet (note: Core package)
    13. lock-keys-applet -> gnome-lock-keys-applet
    14. padevchooser -> gnome-padevchooser(-applet)
    15. panelfm -> gnome-panelfm(-applet) or
        gnome-quick-filemanager(-applet)
    16. wp_tray -> gnome-wp_tray(-applet) or
        gnome-wallpaper-tray(-applet)

With this policy we could allow some flexibility for those packages who
already have something like "panel" or "tray" in their name.

This still leaves the question of subpackages like
      * gai-pal
      * gai-temp
      * uim-gnome or
      * verbiste-gnome
All are panel plugins, but I think they should not be renamed since
first of all they are subpackages of their main package.

Christoph