Circular dependencies

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Sat Feb 11 16:31:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 00:29 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> In the past FE has used a bootstrap repository with a special
> binary-only ghc in order to build ghc in Extras from sources.  I suppose
> we could do something like this again, however we should formalize some
> official bootstrap process for cases like this within FESCO.

Here's how the JPackage people deal with this..  if FOO and BAR are two
interdependent packages, they create a FOO-bootstrap package on which
BAR BuildRequires.  Since we're just talking about pure bytecode here,
FOO-bootstrap's SRPM contains prebuilt architecture neutral jar files
that would normally be found in FOO.

So, would it be OK to submit binary -bootstrap SRPMS to FE for the
purposes of bootstrapping these loopy packages?  This has the advantage
that is doesn't require any special intervention on the part of the FE
build infrastructure maintainers.

AG