extras maintainence

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Feb 13 05:22:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 10:15 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 2/11/06, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > c.f. above. You can't control us. If you try, the project looses.
>
> anarchy serves noone.
FUD ... there are many shades between "anarchy" and "tyranny".

> Its not about CONTROL its about PLANNING and COORDINATION.
Well, a matter of perspective and of word choice of words. It doesn't
matter how you call it, in the end it's "control" or "rules".

Also, you can set up as many "plans" as you want and set up as many
"coordination stuff" as you want. Social systems based on volunteers
like FE only work if your volunteers accept "the rules".

If they don't accept them, your volunteer run project, be it
firefighters, a football/baseball club, a charity kitchen, a welfare
kindergarden will suffer from lack of people and will gradually die.

> Or do you also think that the peer-review process for submission is control?
Well, from a contributor's POV the package submission review process is
just a "big hurdle", you're better off "playing nice to". Once you've
made this hurdle, there isn't QA at all and you're given full freedom to
commit any stupidity you want to.

> Hell man,, lets have everyone contribute what they want.. however they
> want...with absolutely no oversight on any of their actions. Lets do
> that... lets make sure there is absolutely no coordination at all
> between people.
Come on, you are just agitating. We are talking about how the existing
Fedora Extra's system and about wishes on the Fedora Extra's system.

Wrt. Legacy vs. Extras and FC3 life-time, the issue boils down to
"When will RH shutting down the FE3 build and distribution system
prevent me from maintaining FE3 packages?"

Wrt. "sharing maintainership", the issue boils down to "When will other
maintainer be legitimated to fix obvious bugs in other people's
packages."

Wrt. "mass rebuilds", the issue boil down to "If somebody wants to
initiate a mass rebuild, they have got to do it".

This has nothing to do with anarchy, it's about control on FE.

Ralf