buildsys and kernel modules (was: Re: Summary from yesterdays fesco meeting)

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Feb 18 14:08:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 16:16 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> a) Let packages do whatever the heck they want with their Exclusive,
> Exclude, BuildArch tags, including using %{ix86} as Mike suggests
> b) Have the buildsystem recognize kmod packages somehow (which we have
> to do anyway), then filter kmod packages through a "supported" list of
> sub-arches, including i586, i686, x86_64, ppc, athlon.  There's some
> support for this already in the buildsystem.

+1

Attached is a couple of rough patches I have had in my local working dir
for some time; they add support for passing arbitrary arguments to
builds and makes the build archs configurable in local "make foo"
builds.  plague/mock will need changes too, but I think this could be
useful; it already allows eg. "make i686" in local checkouts to do the
right thing wrt. kmod packages, and plague/mock could probably take
advantage of the buildarchs and buildargs targets:

    $ pwd
    /home/scop/cvs/fedora/extras/lirc-kmod/devel

    $ make buildarchs
    i586 i686 x86_64 ppc

    $ make buildargs ARCH=i686
    --define 'kver 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5' --define 'variants "" smp'

    $ make buildargs ARCH=x86_64
    --define 'kver 2.6.15-1.1955_FC5' --define 'variants ""'

    # etc

The kmod patch obviously needs updating wrt. xen* and possibly other
variants, so it's informational only for now.

One nice "side effect" of this is that it would be applicable to all
packages that need non-default build archs or arguments for whatever
reason, not just kmod-*.