Do we want extras/testing/{4,5} repos (was Re: Packaging review guidelines clarification)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Feb 18 19:04:32 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 18.02.2006, 19:52 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le samedi 18 février 2006 à 19:45 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> > Site note: If this code soon works for real should we consider to put
> > the public extras/testing/ repo "back to life" (or let's say: start
> > using this old idea again)?
> >
> > We could use it with a scheme like "All new or updated packages should
> > hang out some days in extras/testing/ before they get pushed over to the
> > official trees automatically; only important updates that for fix
> > security problems go directly to the official tree".
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> The only interest of a scratchpad is it's not mandatory/automatic, if
> you force it on everyone the situation won't be any better than we have

I disagree -- with testing repos that only testers have enabled packages
get at least a bit of testing before they hit the masses. This way
packages for example get tested on x86_64 and ppc before going public,
even if the packager only has access to i386.

I know, it doesn't work to well with update-testing in core -- but it's
IMHO better then no testing at all.

CU
thl