Review Rules and staticly linked packages agains dietlibc

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Feb 23 17:39:06 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I believe this is a very clear case, upstream does _not_ advise the use
of dietlibc, their default makefile and install instructions don't use
it. They do give instructions on howto use it if you want, but they
don't _advise_ it.

So staying with the Fedora upstream manta I say don't use dietlibc, also
there has been much discussion about completly removing all static libs
from Fedora, both core and extras have already dropped many static libs.

Why? Because static linking is BAD for lots of reasons, many the same
reasons why the packaging guidelines state that packages should not
compile and (staticly) link against their own version fo system libs,
that is exactly what you're doing now linking against an own version of
system libs. Please go read:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines
(again if nescesarry)

And pay special attention to especially 1.14 and 1.15 where is written
should, one _should_ read must unless there are good reasons why this is
the exception that confirms the rule. Also notice:
"Static libraries should only be included in exceptional circumstances."

This is not an exceptional circumstance a small gain in speed and
footprint does not warrant exception.

I don't know if this is still possible now that FE has become bigger and
more officialy organised but some time ago a rule was that if one
packager vetoed a package it couldn't get in.

So hereby I veto inclusion / approval of ipvsd when staticly linked
against anything, its not nescesarry, has no real gain (modern PC's are
_fast_ and have _lots_ of mem), and is not even advised by upstream.

Regards,

Hans