requires for lcov

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 09:28:45 UTC 2006

> If lcov calls /usr/bin/gcov, esp. if it contains a hard-coded reference
> to this file, is absolutely perfect.
>
> If lconv calls "gcov" on $PATH, then there'd be some room for
> argumentation.

In fact it runs "gcov" using the path.  What to run can be set in a
configuration file.  Should I make the default /usr/bin/gcov instead?  That
would annoy someone who installed their own gcc build, but they could edit
the config file.  I'm inclined to leave it as it is, and wish for an rpm
pseudo-dependency meaning "there is a foobar command in the local standard
path for users".

My thinking in using the file dependency was as mentioned, that gcov might
conceivably move to a different package in the future.  (There is no
special reason to expect that to happen.)

Thanks,
Roland