strange rebuild configure error on FC5 (tktable)

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Feb 28 23:56:56 UTC 2006

Jean-Luc Fontaine wrote:
> When trying to rebuild tktable for FE5, I got the following error (from
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/5422-tktable-2.9-8.fc5/i386/build.log):
>
> ./configure: line 9966: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> ./configure: line 9966: `    case `(ac_space=' '; set | grep ac_space) 2>&1` in'
>
> According to the above, it would seems the following script would fail
> on FC5:
>
> case `(ac_space=' '; set | grep ac_space) 2>&1` in
> *ac_space=\ *)
> echo 0
> ;;
> *)
> echo 1
>  ;;
> esac;
>
> I doubt it (works on FC4, must be something else in configure), but I do
> not have an FC5 box to check it...
>
> If you have a little time to spare to help, here are the files:
> http://jfontain.free.fr/tmp/Tktable2.9.tar.gz
> http://jfontain.free.fr/tmp/tktable.spec
>
> Thanks! I'll keep looking on my side...

The problem is bash-3.1-6.2, but I don't know exactly what.

Downgrading to bash-3.0-31 from FC4 on an otherwise current Rawhide
fixes the problem.

Changing the first line of configure to "#!/bin/ksh" also fixes the problem.

Commenting out TEA_CONFIG_CFLAGS _and_ TEA_ENABLE_SYMBOLS avoids the
problem,
but I think TEA_ENABLE_SYMBOLS invokes TEA_CONFIG_CFLAGS so I think the
problem
is triggered by something in TEA_CONFIG_CFLAGS.

Thats all the clues I have so far...

John