RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jan 6 11:09:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:30 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> If a kernel module is only of interest for some of those archs of
> course feel free to list only those.

I'd still like to see a policy of having to have a bug filed for any
arch exclusion -- and not just for kernel modules. Even if it's a
long-term reason like 'lilo doesn't make sense on ppc'.

> %if 0%{?variant:1}
>     kmod_build %{variant}
> %else
>     %{?kmod_build_up:  kmod_build up}
>     %{?kmod_build_smp: kmod_build smp}
>     %{?kmod_build_xen-guest:kmod_build xen-guest}
>     %{?kmod_build_xen-hypervisor:kmod_build xen-hypervisor}
> %endif

What if you want to build for, for example, up, smp and hugemem kernels?
Do you have to build the same RPM twice? I'd like to see the handling of
available variants get a little more cunning. The packager shouldn't
need to know which variants are available -- she should be able to just
say 'all' or 'all except XXX' (or of course 'just XXX' although I
disapprove of your stated example of broken-on-SMP code. We don't
package crap code, surely?).

Couldn't we make the variant list available somehow? Each kernel-devel
package could include a text file telling the variants which are
available for that architecture in that build, perhaps?

Also, we don't seem to handle modules which export symbols. For those,
we need to create the appropriate additions to the Module.symvers file.
That shouldn't be particularly hard -- we can move that file from its
current location in the kernel-source package to a 'symvers' directory
somewhere, and each module which exports symbols can add a file to that
directory then have a %post script which adds them all back together
again.

--
dwmw2