RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jan 14 12:58:03 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 14.01.2006, 09:16 +0000 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 16:27 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > I'm still wondering why the feedback was so rare on this experiment with
> > fedora-kmodhelper. Was it to scary? I know it looks a bit unusual in the
> > first moment, but I think this solution (with a bit polishing) is the
> > best we found so far.
> >
> > Panu, dwmw2, Jeremey, skvidal, mschwendt, Anvil, warren, everybody else
> > interested: What do you think about it?
>
> Looks sane enough to me in general. As I said of my similar solution --
> it ain't pretty. But it works.

thx

> I'd like to get rid of 'knownvariants' in the helper script,

Why? We did something like this in the spec file itself before. This
solution IMHO is cleaner. Yes, it is not necessary for the buildsys, but
it's important for people that plan to rebuild the srpm at home for
their current kernel without giving any of the "--define foo bar"
parameters.

>  and it
> would be nice to be able to have the description match the 'primary'
> package description.

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I'll look into this.

> (And it doesn't actually build here -- lirc_it87.c attempts to include
> asm/segment.h, probably without good reason.)

Did build fine here (FC4 kernel from updates-testing).