RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jan 15 19:33:10 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 15.01.2006, 21:11 +0200 schrieb Ville Skyttä:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 19:59 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > Blender, tetex-eurofont, hackedbox, perl-IO-Tty, autotrace, ninja are
> > just some examples from the first 12 packages that were not rebuild in
> > the last year.
>
> blender needs more than just a rebuild:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/176632

Yeah. But the question is: Should we still ship the old version? Someone
at least should make sure that it still works.

> > So guys, how do we do actually do that?
> [...]
> > And we need some scripts that automate the process!
>
> FWIW, I would prefer rebuilding the packages I maintain manually myself.

Agreed. The idea for the script I described should be modified a bit:

a) for the 10 oldest packages in the current extras/development repo:
increase release in cvs and add changelog entry "Rebuild".
b) request build of those 10 packages.
c) wait for the buildsys to finish those 10. That gives a chance for
other packagers to have access to the buildsys (to build for other dists
-- otherwise it might take to long until important security updates get
build)
d) Up to a specific date: Go back to a)

We probably need repoquery to get a list of packages in buildorder. Can
it do something like that?