RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 16 18:23:00 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 16.01.2006, 09:59 -0800 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
> On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 16:40 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > > Kick them.

BTW, "kick them" is now in the proposal at:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/MassRebuildFC5

> >> Unless they have been touched by an active FE contributor post
> > > FC-4. There have been a few packages already, which do rebuild, but don't
> > > work or don't even install without errors. We do the community a disservice
> > > if we offer packages, which bear the risk of either being out-of-date or
> > > not-working.
> >
> > That okay for everybody? Or are there people around that want to build a
> > orphaned-packages-task-force that looks at the stuff?
>
> Unfortunately, there's nothing that can help an orphaned package except
> to be adopted.

Okay, agreed.

>  Someone has to commit to fixing the package if it breaks
> or has security holes through the FC release cycle. [...]

This directly leads to another problem: We either need to drop all
orphaned packages at the point where the maintainer steps down *or* we
need a orphaned-packages-task-force that maintains orphaned packages in
the trees where they were shipped (example: if foo was shipped in
extras/4 and is orphaned now we either remove it now or somebody has to
maintain it from now on until FC4 is EOL)