New tracker bugs for the use of ExcludeArchs in packages

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jan 29 13:47:39 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 29.01.2006, 13:32 +0100 schrieb Hans de Goede:
>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> Sorry for crossposting -- replies please only to fedora-extras-list.
>>> tia!
>>>
>>> Just FYI, I created several new tracker bugs:
>>>
>>> 179258 - FE-ExcludeArch-x86
>>> 179259 - FE-ExcludeArch-x64
>>> 179260 - FE-ExcludeArch-PPC
>>>
>>> How should they get used? Simple: If you have a packages that uses
>>> ExcludeArch or ExclusiveArch to exclude some architectures from the
>>> build you need to file a separate bug for them [*1]. This bug should be
>>> marked as blocking the corresponding tracker bug(s) listed above -- this
>>> simplifies tracking such issues for other people interested in these
>>> archs that might want to take a look into the problem and fix it.
>>>
>> What if the ExclusiveArch is not a bug but a feature, for example say a
>> userspace support tools for certain hardware only found on certain
>> archs? Then there is no problem to fix, should one then still file bugs?
>
> In the past I would have said "no" but a lot of other packagers
> disagreed and convinced me -- so the answer is a "yes" from me now.
>
> Other people simply might not know that the package is "for certain
> hardware only found on certain archs". So it should be written down
> somewhere. A bug is the right place for it. And in such cases you simply
> can close the bug after reporting (as I wrote in the first mail).

I find this purely administrative overhead with little or no gain. When
drafting policies please remeber that Fedora is a volunteer driven project.

Policies like this remind me of my day time job, and thats a job for the
Dutch goverment, or about as bureaucratic as one can get.

<enter civil disobedience mode>
I maintain several hardware related packages which fall under this
policy / decision and I refuse to enter bugs for them. If someone else
feels the need to open bugs against them for this feel free to do so,
but I want open them myself.
</mode>

Regards,

Hans