PHP packaging guidelines not yet accepted

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Jul 4 18:21:03 UTC 2006

MM> are these guidelines supposed to outline how to package actual php
MM> apps as well?

No, applications which happen to be written in PHP are not intended to
be covered by these guidelines.  There is a section at the end of the
main guidelines (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines)
which covers web applications (written in PHP or otherwise):

Web applications packaged in Fedora should put their content into
/usr/share/%{name} and NOT into /var/www/. This is done because:

    * /var is supposed to contain variable data files and
      logs. /usr/share is much more appropriate for this.
    * Many users already have content in /var/www, and we do not want
      any Fedora package to step on top of that.
    * /var/www is no longer specified by the Filesystem Hierarchy
      Standard

If you think something should be added, please feel free to send your
proposal to the fedora-packaging list so that we can discuss it.

 - J<