enforce co-maintainers (was: Re: next FESCo meeting agenda.)

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Jul 5 14:15:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 15:53 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Well, should we try to enforce co-maintainers in the longer term? E.g. a
>> rule "each package must have at least one primary maintainer and one
>> co-maintainer"?
>>

> That'll just make the barrier to addition higher.
>
> I'd say we don't mandate it but make sure all the bits are there for it
> to be encouraged :)

  +1 to that.
  I can't agree with mandating a co-maintainer for every package.  I do,
however, certainly like the idea of the infrastructure to support
co-maintainership being in place.  I used to maintain various packages
before they were added to Extras (by others, mind); that gives me
something of an advantage when working with that package.  I'd be happy to
apply for co-maintainership for those packages.
  As an aside, as I see more emails pour in on this subject, I'd like to
respond to Mike McGrath's "task force" suggestion: In a more broad sense,
I think that works, but if there's someone with a more active
knowledge/interest in the package, I feel they're a better candidate to be
tinkering with it.  If there isn't, though, then the task force idea isn't
a bad one.  But doesn't that kind of describe the Security Team?

      Jima