Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jul 9 21:18:09 UTC 2006

Le dimanche 09 juillet 2006 à 20:05 +0200, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> Neither Core nor Extras do _NOT_ sucks at all. Yes certain things are
> better in Extras then Core, but we have it easier, they have all the
> _really_ _hard_ packages. And yes even we are not perfect, but both core
> and extras are pretty good if not excellent in the case of Extras.
>
> So not perfect, but most certainly not sucking at all!
>
> Talking about this negative attitude, we need to improve our self image
> as a community and we need to work on our image to the rest of the worl
> too, time for a Fedora Marketing team?

Hans,

In case you haven't noticed we do have a marketing team with poor people
trying to improve Fedora Core and Extras image. Including yours truly
who just donated a big part of his week-end writing positive glowing
prose about Fedora for a reporter.

However what's good for the press is not good for a technical list. On a
technical list we try to get work done and that means being honest and
not shying before hard truths.

If you want to improve Fedora image go work on the wiki, submit articles
about Fedora to webzines, give helpful advice to newcomers on the help
forums. But do not turn the PC police on the tech lists because Fedora
didn't get insanely great (and I do think it's insanely great) by lying
to itself about its problems. We do have some problems and the first
step to solve them is admit they exist.

And I'll stop there because after this evening final I'm not in the best
moods to argue with you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot