Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 9 23:34:44 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi all!

>   * Why isn't the Fedora Directory Server still not in Extras?

I had already brought this up recently in a board discussion. Will start
a new one in the the Fedora advisory board list.

>   * How FESCo works isn't much documented

Someone within FESCo would be the ideal candidate.

>   * Discussions within FESCo and with the community are working often in
> acceptable ways on the lists and on IRC most of the time, but often
> nothing happens after the discussion is over and things remain unclear
> and undecided.

Assign a owner to keep track of every agenda item.

>   * we should have someone that fills the Fedora Weekly reports

Someone please step up.

>   * Better web interface -- "yum search" is really slow and people on
> Windows or using other distributions should be able to search for
> packages and their contents, too

Many people use yum search where they really want to just grep the yum
list. Maybe we need a yum search list or something like that to do this
better or have this as the default with extras arguments for other kind
of searches.

>   * we need a defined and documented policy to get definite answers for
> open legal question

Kindly contact the Fedora advisory board where our counsel is a member.
Call this policy.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board

>   * Long-Term Fedora Extras contributors should get a small reward now
> and then: A Pen, Sticker, T-Shirt, LWN subscription, ...

Another item for FAB. I will start a discussion.

>   * close the gap between Core and Extras as far as possible

Would be quite useful to document every single difference between core
and extras somewhere so that we can tackle this as we move along. Can
someone do this?

Rahul