Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jul 10 14:32:04 UTC 2006

Rahul schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>   * Why isn't the Fedora Directory Server still not in Extras?
> I had already brought this up recently in a board discussion. Will start
> a new one in the the Fedora advisory board list.

tia

>>   * Discussions within FESCo and with the community are working often in
>> acceptable ways on the lists and on IRC most of the time, but often
>> nothing happens after the discussion is over and things remain unclear
>> and undecided.
> Assign a owner to keep track of every agenda item.

Yes and No.

Yes: All things on the Extras/Schedule need to have a owner. This is one
thing that I hope works better with the new FESCo -- Jobs simply didn't
get assigned to anyone often because there were not enough people
interested in driving things forward.

No: Not all discussions should be added to the schedule cause we might
soon end up with to much stuff on the schedule that without getting the
most important things done.

>>   * we need a defined and documented policy to get definite answers for
>> open legal question
> Kindly contact the Fedora advisory board where our counsel is a member.
> Call this policy.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board

We need to discuss things first. Warren seems to be the one to contact
when there are issues. But that's nowhere documented (and might be wrong)

>>   * Long-Term Fedora Extras contributors should get a small reward now
>> and then: A Pen, Sticker, T-Shirt, LWN subscription, ...
> Another item for FAB. I will start a discussion.

tia!

>>   * close the gap between Core and Extras as far as possible
> Would be quite useful to document every single difference between core
> and extras somewhere so that we can tackle this as we move along. Can
> someone do this?

Hmmm. Yeah, it might make sense. But we, the Extras community, don't
have much influence or knowledge about the details or plans to close the
gap (or merge the two). So it seems someone from redhat should be the
default owner for this task (with help from Extras contributors of course).

CU
thl