Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 19:24:30 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt (bugs.michael at gmx.net) said:
> > You dont require any knowledge about the future plans to merely document
> > the differences. Still I dont mind owning this but then I need to bug
> > someone with more extras repository knowledge than me to help me out.
>
> Can you shed some light on "plague vs. brew" and why Core and Extras
> buildsys and infrastructure divert in this area?

brew was started before plague existed (although plague was obviously
live first.)

brew has many more options for dealing with packages once they're built;
tagging them, organizing them, etc; it's needed for more complicated release
engineering than what's currently done for Extras.

> Also, I've read that Red Hat can set a package owner _per dist release_
> instead of _one owner per package_ (which is what our "owners.list" can do
> only).

True, it's because it's backed by a DB. owners.list is a very poor man's
db.

Bill