rpms/monodoc/devel monodoc.spec,1.7,1.8

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jul 10 22:29:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 12:46 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> PFJ wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> My reading of the mono packaging guidelines is that things should be in
> >> %{_libdir} rather than /usr/lib, and that the packager's effort should
> >> go into getting the application/library to put things there and use them
> >> from there. I realise this is non-trivial given the way that most
> >> upstream mono apps/libraries are written, but hardcoding /usr/lib has to
> >> be seen as a regression, doesn't it?
> >
> > The mono directory and gac directories are ALWAYS in /usr/lib
> > irrespective of architecture or platform. These are the only exceptions
> > to the rules. From memory, this was decided on many moons ago by Ximian
> > (that's how old it is!) to be analogous of the Windows/System directory.
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions on this, but to maintain reliability and
> > compliance with the mono infrastructure, it has to remain in /usr/lib
>
> My apologies. I was confusing things. Looking at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Mono there are still references
> to %{_prefix}/lib/mono in the "gacutil" section.
>
> It should still be %{_prefix}/lib rather than /usr/lib though...

When we discussed %{_libdir} I asked about the placement
of /usr/lib/mono and the GAC.  It was mentioned that we could file bugs
on Core packages after we decided on guidelines.

Does anyone know of a reason we should not consider moving
the /usr/lib/mono hierarchy into %{_libdir}/mono?  Otherwise I'll put in
a bug and see if we can get the location changed in the FC7 timeframe.

-Toshio