Wiki not editable?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Jul 16 00:29:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 09:32 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> >> ok... just fyi: I moved the page back to its original location mentioned
> >> in the fedora-usermgmt package too. This page does not belong into a
> >> "Drafts" category because it is not a draft but documentation about an
> >> existing package where I was too lazy to create an official project
> >> homepage about.
> >>
> >> I thought that Wiki would be a good place to maintain this documentation
> >> but I can move it into the package as %doc when requested.
> >>

> > The PackagingDrafts/ hierarchy is an appropriate location for any page that
> > will be part of the guidelines for packaging.
>
> fedora-usermgmt will never be part of the guidelines because endless
> flamewars without results showed that we can not find an agreement about
> it. Therefore, it is in an as-is and not in an it-should state.

Never say never :-)  But there have certainly been a lot of flamewars
surrounding it by people who have different views on the issue.  I don't
know of anyone who is prepared to advocate it for inclusion right now so
if you (the author of the document) want to consider it documentation
for fedora-usermgmt instead of a potential draft for someone to pick up
for the guidelines down the road, that's fine.

> > All final versions should be kept within the Packaging/ hierarchy.
> >
> > You aren't able to edit pages within that section because editing of that
> > section has been restricted to the Packaging Committee.  You must contact
> > them if you need edit permissions in that section.

I'm sorry, this is all a misunderstanding.  The usermgmt documentation
was placed in the Packaging Hierarchy before spot requested that
hierarchy be ACL'd to him (and subsequently to the Packaging Committee).
The document is not a guideline (It isn't a MUST or SHOULD for packaging
or even something everyone has agreed is a best practice.) so it doesn't
belong in the hierarchy.  Enrico is the primary owner and so we needed
to move it somewhere that he could edit it.

A few people on the Packaging Committee discussed where we should move
it so Enrico could edit it and we thought it _could_ be a useful
guideline at some point so we might as well move it to the Drafts area.
As there is no one to push the draft forward at this point and Enrico is
opposed to the current version becoming a Guideline (or at least,
doesn't want to push it either) and because the reason it was moved to
the PackagingDrafts hierarchy was to place it somewhere that Enrico
could edit it, it's perfectly reasonable for Enrico to want to move it
elsewhere.

I would like to emphasize that we discussed whether to place the
document in the PackagingDrafts hierarchy or elsewhere and decided on
PackagingDrafts because of its potential to be a guideline, not because
anyone is actively working on making it a guideline at the moment.  If
Enrico can best work on it without the pressure of people fearing it
will become a guideline we are perfectly happy for him to move it.

> > You should not have moved the document out of the PackageDrafts
> > hierarchy.
>
> Again, the page is documentation not a draft and does not belong into a
> Drafts section. I will remove the page completely and make it a %doc of
> fedora-usermgmt.

FWIW, I liked having the page updated on the wiki.  When I reviewed a
package that created a user, I would look at the page to see if the
package would have any of the problems described.

> > It will need to be moved back.
>
> No; please remove it completely or move it out of Drafts.

Please allow Enrico to keep the UserCreation page where he sees fit.

Thank you,
Toshio Kuratomi